Mario Maker 2 - First Three Created Levels
I made ten levels in the first Mario Maker, and I’ll likely make more than that in the second. The community in this game is much bigger, and it’s a lot more fun to make the levels.
Multiplayer is where I think people will have the most fun. I made my second level with that in mind, and it’ll definitely inform my designs going forward.
In playtesting these levels with people, I quickly realized that most folks aren’t all that good at Mario. I know that probably seems obvious, but it’s a good idea to make levels easier than you think. Even if you’re not that skilled a player, you know the layout of the level you’re making, but the player doesn’t. I think Mario Maker 2 has enough insanely difficult levels as it is, and it’s grown a reputation for being a sadistic playground. More nice levels!
My first level, Water Shells, is probably too hard. You can play it at B9Y-P0D-QYG, but it’s not that great. Mostly, I used it to familiarize myself with the Switch’s control scheme. It does, however, follow my Mario level design aesthetic, which is one enemy, one obstacle, and one power-up.
My second level, Snow Pokey Fire Hops, is definitely more fun. You can play it here: 8LD-V0W-MWF, and you can watch it below:
I learned something in playtesting the second level, though, which is that lots of people seem to not automatically run with Mario. This is definitely a habit I’ve picked up over the years. My thumb is rarely not on the run button while playing. But other players are much more cautious. So I thought I’d make a level where running wasn’t actually necessary or even encouraged. That made me make Spin Jump Piranha Plants, which you can find at GT4-71D-BB6. You can watch the level below:
Of course, if you don’t run, you might also not know about the spin jump in Super Mario World. But that’s okay. By the end of this level you’ll get pretty good at it. I hope you like these. More coming soon!
Logbook, January 6–12, 2020
- Wicked City, 1987 - ★★.
- The Lighthouse, 2019 - ★★★½. Tom Waits sitting just off screen going “good, good.”
Progress made on Oresuki S1, Seinfeld S5, Year of the Rabbit S1, My Hero Academia S3.
Made some Mario Maker levels. I’ll blog about that.
- Super simple here. Bulldoze it. Make the city itself car-free while you’re at it. Kill congestion and pollution in one shot. People will hate it but it’ll save the city. https://t.co/AxEsg3HBup
- iTunes messing with Match playlist data a few years ago is what led me to ditch my digital collection. Finally got rid of it all last year. https://t.co/mcwKtc1l54
- So if you do laundry and have warm sheets on a rainy Saturday you can just get back into bed right
- Never stop being this weird, Nintendo. https://t.co/1dp5UhlPB3
Logbook, December 30, 2019–January 5, 2020
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, 2019 - ★. All the Star Wars movies are bad now.
- Dracula, 2020 - ★★★. Letterboxd needs to add some tv-based features so I can rate episode one-two 4 stars and episode three 2 stars. Some really great lines in the script, and overall a decent time on over-tread ground. But come for Van Helsing and stay for Van Helsing. She slaps.
Oresuki S1, My Hero Academia S2, Fleabag S2, and The Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2019. Always a good time. Also, finally finished Hanna on Amazon Prime. Not bad!
- All right y’all I give up. I’ve got three things to plug into a tv and only two hdmi ports. Make this work for me.
- I’d be disappointed by Terry Gilliam being an old racist idiot now, but we just had like, a decade of reckonings and realizations and stuff and I’m just, over it? Like, maybe I should just be happy he went so long not being one?
- Sort of like treating a breakup of a long relationship as a success rather than a failure. We made it eight years, holy shit! I was a fan of Terry Gilliam for 30 years! And then he ended it by being shit. Not a bad run!
- I started it in December, but my theme is friends. I want to strengthen my friendships and feel more connected to the people I care about.
Fran’s Not Here 46 - Clapback for Catholics
Listen to or download episode 46
Recorded live at the Free Times Cafe on December 10, 2019.
Eat a roast beef sandwich in a tub or whatever.
Fran’s Not Here is a show about Toronto, co-hosted by Sawyer Paul and Robert Pilgrim. Read blog posts about each episode. Subscribe via
Logbook, December 23-29, 2019
- Stella Dallas, 1937 - ★★★★
- The Apartment, 1960 - ★★★★★
- Scrooged, 1988 - ★★½.
- Ninja Scroll, 1993 - ★★★★.Me: wow, they sure don’t make them like this anymore. Demon Slayer: am I a joke to you?
- Bikram: Yogi, Guru, Predator, 2019 - ★½. Maybe cult leaders are bad.
- Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks, 2019 - ★★½. Sweet editing and lots of enthusiasm. Netflix isn’t bad at these 101-style docs.
Finished up Mandalorian. Binged the entirety of Letterkenny Season 8.
- Super Mario Maker 2
- Astral Chain
- Baba is You
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (2019)
Began playing Zelda and Baba is You. Both are great date games.
- Merry Christmas to all my bird friends
- Man, Rogers. You had to just be exactly that South Park about cable companies, didn’t you.
- TickTick’s competitive scene is buried pretty deep but it’s there. #forglory #smash https://t.co/syCMjdO90o
- What’s the German word for “I want to publish this thing to the internet but I do not want anyone to see it let alone comment”
- #Bujo people. You back up that thing before the end of the year, or is that like a mid-January lazy day task?
I’ve been thinking of doing a sketch series. Once a day, draw something and post it, with a number. It’s an old idea but I’ve heard it works. But I reserve the right to put them all in a neat folder in my Dropbox so that I can very easily delete them all at a moments notice. I’ll probably start in the new year.